Success By 6
Success By 6 is an initiative to make early childhood development a top priority in Polk, Hardee and Highlands counties. Success By 6 is mobilizing communities to ensure that all children, by the age of 6, have the physical, emotional, social, and mental foundation to succeed in school and life.
The Hardee/Highlands/Polk initiative was founded in 1995 by Carol Jenkins Barnett of Publix Super Markets Charities and spearheaded by United Way of Central Florida, to bring together resources from a partnership of private businesses, government, religious groups, educators, and health and human service organizations. Organizations are working together to improve our communities and give all children the chance to succeed in school and life.
Why do we need Success By 6?
- 35% of Polk County's children live in households that receive public assistance.
- 43% of children entering kindergarten in the Fall of 2012 in Polk County were not fully ready based on their literacy skills.
- A critical path is laid in the first few years of life. Children who start behind, usually stay behind.
Why Should I Care?
- US Federal Reserve Bank research found early learning programs could generate a 12% public rate of return.
- If children don’t develop properly when they are young, they are more likely to drop out of school, go to jail, become a teen parent and/or require government assistance. Results: Higher taxes. Less personal safety.
- If we don't take action now, we will continue to create a permanent segment of society who cannot participate fully in community life.
Who is Success By 6?
Success By 6 is people in business, government, labor, education, and health and human services agencies and individuals working together to make sure kids get what they need to succeed. The common goal is to create a community where all children have the mental, physical, social and emotional foundation to grow into healthy, productive members of the community.
To find out more about Success By 6 or how you can help, call 863-648-1500 ext 265 or email SB6@uwcf.org.